Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Learned Quickly Not To Pick Dare

I do not like to exercise.  I am willing to admit that I avoid exercising at all cost.  I have a few friends that encourage me regularly to exercise, but despite their best efforts I don't.  I don't mind the kind of exercise that disguises itself as fun.  Like hiking, biking, swimming, and I recently discovered how much fun the Wii Fit is.


As a kid exercise wasn't really apart of our lives.  At one point one of my dad's doctors told him to walk to improve something.  But that's really the only time exercise was discussed.  Us kids played enough that we didn't need to actually exercise.  I played a lot of sports when I got older so still no extra exercise was needed.  In high school, we were taught the importance of exercise in P.E.  Now as I get older, I see I need some exercise, but just do not like it.

One of the ways I got exercise in high school was snow skiing.  The local ski resort allowed us to come each Friday of January, rent skis and get lessons for a nominal fee.  After a couple years I decided I didn't really like skiing, but I did enjoy the time we spent together on the trip up there and back.  I don't know  about any of my friends, but I liked getting to know them better.  We shared stories and played truth or dare, which really became a game of truth or truth.  We rarely picked dare.  I think I ended up kissing a boy when he picked dare.  I learned quickly not to pick dare.  Not only did we have those times on our way to skiing to get to know each other.  We had sleep overs and other trips.   I miss the times that we spent together.  Although recently, I've been able to spend some quality time with my friends.  I am very thankful for my friends in Idaho and in Texas.

One of my friends has asked for more soup recipes.  I was afraid that I was giving you too many, but the cold weather has made up want soup.  This recipe I got while I was in Colorado.  It has a few steps to it, but it is well worth it.  It is SO good.

Roasted Red Pepper Bisque

6 Roasted Red Peppers

To roast peppers – wash, rub with oil, salt & pepper. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 500º till skins are roasted. Place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam skin – this makes peeling them easier. Peel after 15 minutes.

1 onion (small dice)
3 stalks celery (thinly sliced)
2 carrots (thinly sliced)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup white wine
4 cups heavy cream
4 cups chicken stock
Salt & Pepper to taste

Sauté onion, celery, and carrots in oil for about 5 minutes or until soft and onions are translucent. Add wine and reduce liquid by half. Add chopped roasted red peppers, chicken stock and cream. Slow boil soup for at least ½ hour, longer is better. Put soup in a blender and puree, put it through a fine sieve. Adjust your seasonings. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment