Friday, November 6, 2009

I Love My Soldiers

Yesterday there was a horrific tragedy at Fort Hood, Texas.  13 people killed and 30 injured.  Because I lived 30 miles from Fort Hood for 7 years, I have many friends stationed there.  When you live that close to the largest military base in the world, you become very aware of what the soldiers sacrifice for us.  I am very thankful for those brave men and women.  Most don't like to be called heroes, but they are.  They do for us what we cannot do for ourselves.  Protect our freedom.


When you get to know me, you will find that I love my soldiers.  I use the word "my" meaning my friends.  And my soldiers include airmen as well.  Unless we have gone to Iraq or Afghanistan, we will never understand what they go through.  But the basic things of food, shower and sleep, what they experience in those things I would not like to put up with, especially the sleep part.  They deal with so much more beyond those basics.  I know I couldn't do it.  To get a small glimpse of what they do for us gives me great appreciation for them.


I strongly encourage you to find a way to show your appreciation to our troops.  There are many organizations that can help you with that.  You can adopt a soldier for his or her deployment.  You can just send a thank you card.  And there are many organizations you can donate to to help wounded soldiers.
Here are a few that are helping us to show our appreciation: Any Soldier  Wounded Warrior Project Tell Them Thanks Hero Box Yellow Ribbon Fund  There are so many more.  Just google "support our troops" and lots and lots pop up.


This summer, I had an unexpected trip to back to Texas.  While I was there I got to spend a day with 2 of "my" soldiers.  That day is one of my favorite recent memories.  Both guys are officers.  One is currently stationed at Ft. Hood and the other at Ft. Campbell.  The one at Ft. Hood is an excellent cook. He introduced me to crock pot cookies.  Just about anything he makes is excellent.  While I was there he made a sweet bread.  It was some of the best bread I've ever had.  I was able to get that recipe from him.  So I will share it with you.  It is a more difficult recipe.  But well worth it.

Portuguese Sweet Bread with Honey
Makes 2 Round Loaves

Sponge:
1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 packages) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115oF)
1 cup warm milk (105 to 115oF)
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour or bread flour

Dough:
8 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature cut into small pieces
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
3 1/2 to 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or bread flour

1. To make the sponge: In a large bowl using a whisk or in the work bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the yeast, water, milk, sugar, and flour and beat until smooth. Scrape down the sides and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature until bubbly, about 1 hour.

2. To make the dough: Stir down the sponge and add the butter, honey, salt, eggs and 1 cup of the flour. Beat hard until creamy about 1 minute. Continue to add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft dough that just clears the sides of the bowl is formed. Switch to a wooden spoon when necessary if making by hand.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until a soft, smooth, and springy dough is formed, dusting with flour only 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to prevent sticking.
a. If kneading by machine, switch from the paddle to the dough hook and knead for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the dough is soft, smooth, and springy, and springs back when pressed. If desired, transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead briefly by hand.

4. Place the dough in a greased deep container. Turn once to coat the top and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.

5. Gently deflate the dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface. Grease or parchment0line a baking sheet. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Form each portion into a tight, round loaf and place on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise at room temperature until puffy, but not quite doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.

6. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375oF. Brush the loaves with the egg glaze. Place the baking sheet ona rack in the center of the oven and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and the loaves sound hollow when tapped with your finger. Transfer the loaves to a cooling rack. Cool before slicing.

Thank you to all "my soldiers"  Kyle G, Mike, Adam, Nick, Vill, Chad, Jason K, Jason B,  Kyle J, Caleb, Brandon, Brad, Dax, Jon R, James R, Chris and anyone else I can't think of at this moment.  And also to my soldier's wives.

No comments:

Post a Comment