Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It Was As Familiar To Me As My Own House

I was reminded this week that living in a small town is like living in a fish bowl.  For the last 15 years, I have lived in places that allowed me to be fairly anonymous.  I had gotten used to that.  I liked that.  But with everything, there is a good and bad side.  Living in a place that allows you to be anonymous also has traffic, lots of people, and crime.  I think I am ok with giving up my privacy to have no traffic, being able to get in and out of the grocery store in 5 minutes, and not hearing emergency vehicle sirens for months on end.

Fortunately, this go round of living in a fish bowl isn't near as bad it is was when I was a kid.  Being the pastor's daughter in a small church in a small town is far worse.  Not only do you have everyone knowing your business, you also have everyone criticizing everything you do.  Somehow you were supposed to be perfect.  I finally gave up on that idea.  Some pastor's kids give up on it early and just rebel.  I wasn't that kid.  I waited till my 20's to give up being perfect and by then knew better than to do stupid stuff.


Although I lived in the ultimate fish bowl, for the most part I enjoyed my church family.  We had children's choir, Christmas plays, youth conferences, and church camp.  We always had a great time with all the activities we did.

The church building became a second home.  We spent lots and lots of hours there.  When we first began meeting, we met in the basement of an old church building.  The neighbors to the building didn't like us meeting there so they would flood the basement weekly.  To prevent this, we would spend the night at the building on Saturday nights.  I am sure I slept at church many other times.  But of course not during the service! After we moved to the new building, it was as familiar to me as my own house.  I think Christians should be just as familiar with the throne room. 

Most everyone knows that church and pot lucks go hand in hand.  I attended so many.  One of my favorite things to take to a pot luck is Cornbread Casserole.

Cornbread Casserole
1 can corn, drained
1 can cream style corn
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
6 oz grated cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients together.  Grease a 2 quart baking dish.  Pour batter into dish and bake for 50 - 60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment