Saturday, November 7, 2009

No Matter How Old We Were She Wouldn't Let Us Win

My family has always been a game playing family.  I learned to play a watered down version of poker when I was 5.  Games were what we played when we got together with family.  Games were what we did when friends came over.  Games were what we did instead of going to the movies.  Games are great entertainment.

One of the games we play most often is called Bounce.  It is also called Nertz.  I don't remember when I learned to play.  I've just always played.  I do remember my little sister learning to play.  She was 3.  She played a watered down version of the game, but she played.  As she's gotten older, she has gotten a lot better at the game and a lot less competitive.  Or at least she handles losing better.


My grandma loved to play Gin.  She was good at it too.  No matter how old we were she wouldn't let us win.  It was a great feat to be able to beat her.  I remember sitting at her dining room table playing Gin with her.  I don't think I ever won.  After she moved to Idaho, we would play when I would visit.  I would win occasionally.  But I don't think it was that I was getting better; I think it was that she was loosing her sight.  Even after she could hardly see, we would play.  We used the cards that had the numbers really big. Occasionally she would ask what a card was.


While I lived in Texas, I spent time with a family who also liked to play games.  We didn't play often, but we sure had fun when we did.  I got a lot of recipes from them also.  One of those recipes was Chicken Spaghetti.  I had forgotten about it until the other day when someone asked me if I had it.  I did a little digging and found it.  It is oh so good!


Chicken Spaghetti
4 c. cooked chicken, shredded
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 tbsp. dried parsley
2 cans mushroom soup
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 (12 oz.) pkg. spaghetti, cooked
3/4 tbsp. salt
1/2 tbsp. pepper
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
1 sleeve saltine crackers

Preheat oven to 325.  Add all ingredients to medium pan, except chicken and cheese. Simmer about 15 to 20 minutes. Add cheese and simmer until it melts. Add chicken.  Put spaghetti noodles to a 9x13 baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over noodles.  Smash sleeve of saltines before opening.  Spread over the spaghetti.  Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Freezes great. Makes a large quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment