Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Because I Would Be Quarantined

Most years of school, I had perfect attendance.  It wasn't because I was the perfect child who never got sick and never wanted to stay home.  It was because my mom ran a daycare in our house, and if we got sick, we were quarantined to the bedroom.  There was a tv in there, but we were alone.  I didn't like being alone when I was sick.  I guess I still don't like it.  I realize that's the best way to handle sickness, but misery loves company.  The bedroom was right next to the bathroom, if we needed it.  But those were the only two rooms we were allowed to go in.  Occasionally, I would stick my head out and ask one of the kids to go get my mom.  I would want toast or soup or just someone to talk to me.


Going to school was just better to me.  I was with people.  There were a few days that I had to go home sick, but for the most part I went to school.  One day I was sick and needed to go home, but I refused.  It was a half day, and I knew I could make it.  The teachers thought I wanted to stay because we were having some kind of party.  But really I just didn't want to go home because I would be quarantined.  There was also a rule if you stayed home sick then you couldn't go anywhere after school if you felt better.  There were a few days that I had something planned with a friend after school so I made sure to not miss school.  Now I know with the spread of the flu and H1N1, this is not the smart thing to do, but back then we didn't have such a problem with that.  I don't remember ever having the flu anyway. 

On the days that I did have to go home sick, mom would make me soup or toast depending on what was wrong.  Chicken Noodle Soup is always warm and comforting when you have a cold.  As an adult, I figured out that I like Toll House crackers in my soup.  They are sweeter, and I'm a sugar junkie.

Chicken Noodle Soup
1 whole chicken
3 qts water
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots or 20 baby carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery*, sliced
2 cloves garlic*, minced
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 chicken bullion cube
1/2 pkg (6 oz) fine egg noodles**
Salt & pepper to taste

Place chicken & water in large pot.  Bring to a boil & reduce heat.  Skim foam.  Once foam begins to subside add vegetables, garlic, parsley, bullion cube, and salt & pepper.  Cover & boil slowly for 1 hour.  Remove chicken and pull meat off the bones.  Add meat back to pot.  Cover and continue to cook for 1/2 hour.  5 minutes before finished add noodle to soup.  Cook til tender.  Makes 6 -8 servings.

*cloves & stalks are sometimes a confusing measurement.  I have been confused by this also.  You buy garlic in bulbs and each individual piece of garlic is called a clove.  You buy celery in bunches and each individual stick of celery is a stalk.

**I like wide thick noodles in my chicken noodle soup.  I use Country Pasta homemade style egg pasta.  They take longer to cook, so I add them to the pot when I put the chicken back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment