Wednesday, October 28, 2009

To This Day When I Go To The Library, I Fear The Librarian

I have finally recovered from my migraine and am back to blogging.  Back to my childhood memories.  Back to sharing recipes.


The library was a big part of my childhood.  We went to the library on a regular basis long before I can remember.  I began reading fairly early and even before that picture books were great.  My mom would take us to the library nearly every week.  We would check out 3 or 4 books.  I became very familiar with the children's section.  As I got older, I learned about the preteen section and the section of books that were informative.  Like how to care for a dog or a bunny.  Or books I needed for school reports.  I learned to love specific authors.  Judy Blume, Anne M Martin, Beverly Cleary.  I also became very familiar with the card catalog.  I still have a hard time looking up books without one.  I am rather computer literate, but that catalog is familiar and comfortable.

I did have a problem with the librarians though.  I'm not sure why.  I was always polite and quiet.  I did often turn my books in late, but you would think they would like that because they were getting money from me for fines.  Maybe it wasn't only me that felt intimidated by them.  I would lay low until I had to check out my books.  To this day when I go to the library, I fear the librarian.  One of those librarians that was around when I was a kid is still there.

I did enjoy the library at school however.  The librarians weren't scary, and all the books were for kids.  There were lots and lots of books.  I almost always got my books back on time.  Except second grade.  Second grade was just a bad year.  But that's a whole other story.

No matter how I got along with the librarians, I developed a love for reading.  I still love to read specific authors.  I have broadened my authors though.  I still love fiction, but I read more non fiction now than I did back then.  C.S. Lewis, Nicholas Sparks, Jan Karon, Max Lucado, Donald Miller.  I also love to read cookbooks.  I have this long list of recipes I want to make.  I can't seem to make them fast enough.  A recipe I found while reading a cookbook that I love is German Chocolate Cheesecake. It's just so good.  Yet so fattening.

German Chocolate Cheesecake*
1 - 8 1/2 oz pkg chocolate wafers, crushed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 - 8oz pkgs cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 - 4 oz pkg sweet baking chocolate, melted
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla

Combine wafer crumbs and butter, mixing well.  Press into bottom and 1 3/4 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan, and set aside.
Beat cream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Gradually add sugar, flour, and salt, mixing well.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add chocolate, milk, and vanilla; mix well.  Spoon into prepared pan; bake at 325 for 1 hour.  Remove from oven; cool 15 minutes.  Loosen sides from pan with spatula.  Cool 30 minutes.  Tighten sides of pan.  Spread with topping.  Cover and chill for 8 hours.

Topping:
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup flaked coconut
1 tsp vanilla

Combine cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan.  Gradually add milk and butter.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.  Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat; stir in pecan, coconut, and vanilla.  Cool.

* German Chocolate Cheesecake, Southern Living 1987 Annual Recipes, pg 265

No comments:

Post a Comment