Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I Remember Thinking My Sister Is Cool

My youngest sister doesn't like us to tell stories about her when she is around.  She isn't around but she will read this, I'm not sure if that counts or not.  So I will go easy on her.  She was a kid with spunk.  As she got older, she mellowed a bunch.  We all were thankful for that.  She and I got along very well once she stopped pulling my hair.  I can only recall one argument we had, and it was over folding clothes so it really was no big deal.  We look a lot alike also, and now her daughter looks like us also.  It is often difficult to tell who the picture is of unless you look at the clothes or the background.  In fact, the other day I showed my mom a picture of me when I was about 1 that I had scanned and put online.  My mom says, "she looks like you."  I chuckled and said that is me.  She thought it was my niece.  As my sister and I got older, we began to have own distinct look with a few similar features.  So hopefully, my niece will have her own beautiful look.

When I went off to college, my sister was only 11.  So missed a lot of her teenage years.  But we did have a few good years together.  Our personalities fit well together.  I'm very much a type A and she is very laid back and goes with the flow.  I also got along well with her best friend.  My sister has been friends with her best friend since they were very little.  She is like another sister to me.  She was always around, and we loved having her over.  On the occasion that our friend needed to go home, I would take her.  We made a game of going to her house.  I would let the girls give me directions.  We usually ended up driving all over town before we would make it to her house.  I really enjoyed that time with the girls.

After my sister became a teenager, she didn't seem to care what people thought of her.  I wish I had that when I was in high school,  I wish I had that confidence in me.  I remember thinking my sister is cool.  She doesn't care that she's cool and that make her even cooler.  She is now grown, married and has 2 great kids and one on the way.  And she is still cool.

One of my sister's favorite things I cook is Potato Soup.  Or at least I think it is.  She asks me to make it when I see her.  So for my cool sister, I will share my recipe.


Potato Soup
4 medium russet potatoes
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
6 slices bacon
6 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp flour
5 cups milk
1 can corn
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Wash and peel potatoes.  Cube potatoes and boil until just under done.  Finely chop onion.   In a large pot, cook bacon.  Remove bacon, set aside, and add onion to bacon drippings.  Saute on medium heat until onion is tender. Add minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.  Add butter and melt.  Add flour, stir together, and add milk.  Whisk mixture until all the flour mixture is dissolved.  The mixture will thicken up.  After mixture has thickened, add drained can of corn, salt & pepper.  Once the potatoes are done, drain and add to the large pot.  Crumble the bacon (I used kitchen shears to cut it up) and add to pot.  If the soup is too thick, you can add 1/2 cup more milk.  It may also need more salt.  During the process of making the soup it is important to stir often.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment