Monday, October 19, 2009

One Year I Was a Cheerleader

Halloween was always a fun time in our house.  I usually had a party at my house.  Some of my friends didn't celebrate Halloween, so I would have my party on a different day.  That allowed for me to go trick or treat-ing on Halloween.  I am the world's worst about coming up with a costume.  Most years I would resort to being a clown because it was easy.  My mom could have made me any costume I wanted, but I could never come up with a good idea.  I did have a few years where I cam up with ideas - not always good ones.  One year I was a cheerleader, one year I was Psalty the singing songbook (bad costume because hardly anyone knew who I was and I kept hitting people with the back of me).


Halloween in Idaho is usually cold.  We always had to work our costumes so they fit over our coats.  I remember quite a few Halloween's with snow on the ground so our snow boots needed to fit into our costume too.  But it was always fun.  My mom always came up with great games for the parties.

As I got older, trick or treating wasn't looked upon so well.  A few years I volunteered at the nursing home to help the residents hand out candy.  That was always fun because the residents would dress up too.  Some of them really enjoyed it and some had no clue as to what was going on.  One year I took a friend's little brother out trick or treat-ing.  I got yelled at by an old lady for being too old to trick or treat.  She didn't understand I wasn't the one trick or treating.

Halloween treats are always so good: rice crispy treats, popcorn balls, carmel popcorn, candied apples.  One of my favorites is homemade snickers.  My grandma always made them for Christmas,  but they are good for Halloween too.

Homemade Snickers
1 -12 oz pkg milk chocolate chips
2 Tbsp oil
1 - 14 oz pkg carmels (50 pieces)
2 Tbsp water
5 Tbsp butter
1 cup coarsely chopped peanuts

Melt first 2 ingredients in double boiler.  Pour half of chocolate mixture in 8" pan.  Place in fridge 15 minutes. (It will not be set completely) Melt in double boiler the caramels, water & butter.  Add peanuts.  Pour over chocolate in pan and refrigerate for 15 minutes.  Pour remaining chocolate over caramels mixture.  Refrigerate.  Cut into squares and serve.  Keep refrigerated when not eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment