Sunday, October 18, 2009

Whatever It Was It Was Important

I think all of North America, if not the whole world knows that Idaho is potato country.  However, the residents of Northern Idaho hate when people say, "oh Idaho, the potato state" because potatoes are grown in Southern Idaho.  I live in Southern Idaho.  Potato fields surround our town and lake.  Potato harvest is a great way to make money in the fall.  Well great if you like long hours, getting really dirty, and being really tired.  Oh and getting up really early.

I worked potato harvest 2 harvests.  I hated it both times!  I don't like to get up early, I don't like getting dirty, and I don't like working allllll day.  But I did learn a few things in harvest.  Frito Lay contracts with a company here to do quality control on their potatoes.  It has been a few years since I have worked harvest so I don't remember all the tests being done for quality control.  What I do remember is potatoes must not be under a certain temperature when being dug up,  they can't be bruised too badly,  and they can't be too small.  There was some test I did on them where I weighed them in water.  I don't remember what that showed.  Whatever it was it was important.

Potatoes are an important part of our community.  They are also a big part of our diet.  If you aren't a farmer who can dig potatoes out of your own field, then you can go glean the fields after harvest.  Or you might be friends with farmers who will give you potatoes.  Or if all else fails you can go to your local potato processing plant and buy a box for pretty cheap.  Potatoes can be cooked so many different ways that it takes a while to get tired of them.

My mom came up with lots of ways to cook potatoes.  She cooked potatoes in a way she called Favy Taties.  We all liked it that way.

Favy Taties
1 medium sized potato for every 2 people
olive oil
season salt
butter
shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 400.  Grease a baking sheet with olive oil.  Cut potatoes length wise in half.   Sprinkle cut side of potato with season salt.  Place potato cut side down on baking sheet.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Slice potato length wise on cut side to make a slit.  In slit add a little bit butter and cheese.  Serve.

2 comments:

  1. The spuds in the water thing? The water was more than likely salt brine and you were checking the specific gravity. There ya go, new wrinkle on the brain...no charge. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what it was! Specific gravity. They told me but that was like 8 years ago and age is catching up with me.

    ReplyDelete