Friday, October 16, 2009

I'm Fixin' To Go To The Store

For the last week I have been craving Bush's Chicken.  I realize most of you have no idea what that is.  It is a chain restaurant that serves chicken strips that are amazing.  And their sweet tea is excellent as well.  Here in the Northwest, we don't have any restaurants that come close to Bush's.


Until I was 4 1/2, we lived in Tennessee.  This means my introduction to food was from a southern perspective.  I love nearly all foods southern.  Okra is the exception.  I don't have a lot of memories of those years spent in Tennessee, but it did impact my diet.  My speech was also impacted.  After moving to Idaho, I had a southern accent for a time.  It has since gone, but a few words still finding their way into my vocabulary like fixin' - as in I'm fixin' to go to the store.

One of my few memories of our time in Tennessee is of paying rent.  I know that's normally a strange memory for a kid, but our landlord was always really nice to me.  We would walk down the street to his house.  He had a carnival type popcorn popper and would give me a bag of popcorn.  He would also give me a half dollar.  I still have those coins.  My mom kept them for me with our important papers and now I keep them with my important papers.  I also remember walking across the street to get my haircut.  And anytime I smell honeysuckle, it takes me back to playing outside at the babysitter's house.

Because I can't get Bush's chicken until I visit Texas, I have learned to make my own chicken strips.  While they aren't as good as Bush's, they will suffice for my craving until I am in Texas again.

Chicken Strips
2 cups flour
1 tsp season salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder (not salt)
2 eggs
1 lb chicken tenders
Pan with grease heated to 350.

If you cannot find chicken tenders, you can get chicken breast and cut into stips.  Mix flour, garlic powder, & season salt in a shallow bowl.  Lightly beat egg in a separate shallow bowl.  Heat enough oil to cover strips - 3 inches deep.  You can tell oil is hot enough by sprinkling water into oil.  If it pops, it's ready.  Be sure to not heat oil too hot.  Keep heat at medium.  Dredge chicken strips in eggs, then in flour mixture, in egg again and then in flour mixture again.  Place strip in oil.  Once the flour coating is golden brown, remove from oil.  Repeat until all chicken is cooked.  I keep a pan in the oven to keep the chicken warm until it is all finished.  I set the oven at 200.  Do not cover because the crust on the chicken will no longer be crisp.

Gravy to dip chicken in
6 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp flour
3 cups milk
3 chicken bullion cubes
salt & pepper to taste

In a sauce pan,  melt butter and add flour.  Mix together to make a paste.  Add milk and whisk together until all the lumps are gone.  Add bullion cubes, mix until dissolved.  Add salt & pepper to taste.  Stir constantly while gravy is on the heat to prevent burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment