Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Ate Things Like Burritos

I am not a morning person.  I've tried, and it just doesn't work.  I used to be worse.   I used to be a whole lot grumpier in the morning.  Waking me up wasn't a wise thing to do.  However, people would often risk their lives to wake me up.

My dad was usually the one waking me up.  My bedroom was in the basement, and my parents room was above mine.  My dad would wake me up for school by banging on the floor.  I would bang on the wall to tell him I was awake.  I would then go right back to sleep.  If I didn't get up after a few times of this routine, he would go to the top of the stairs and yell.  On the days I was really tired, I would stand up and yell, "I'm up," and then get back in bed.  I didn't want to lie to him.  I would eventually get out of bed.

My little sister also liked to wake me up.  She wasn't always nice about it.  Because my room was in the basement, it had one window, but we had put a piece of insulation in it, so no light came in.  So I couldn't tell the sun had come up and my room was always dark.  It made for great sleeping.  Because of that, my sister loved to turn the light on in my room.  It was quite a shock to the system.  I would be really grumpy when she did that.  One morning, I heard her coming down the stairs to wake me up, then heard her feel on the wall for the light switch.  Before she could get it on, I said loudly, "don't you dare turn that on."  I scared her.  I don't remember her doing that again to me.

My eating habits in the morning aren't any better than my ability to function.  I say my body just can't handle food until I've been up for about an hour.  As a kid, my mom forced me to eat breakfast.  I wouldn't eat normal breakfast foods.  I just didn't like them.  I ate things like burritos.  Not breakfast burritos.  Regular burritos that we had for dinner.  Mom would make extra burritos when she made them for dinner.  She would wrap them up and freeze them.  They worked for me. It was easy to pop them in the microwave.  I don't eat burritos for breakfast anymore, but I still don't eat breakfast like a normal person.  I am more of a brunch kind of girl. It just works better for me.

A few years back, I hosted a baby shower for my little sister.  She and I neither one like the games of a normal baby shower.  So we had a brunch and visited with friends.  In preparing for the shower, I found a great recipe.  It is a quiche.  However, my grandmother insisted she didn't like quiches, so we called it Brunch Casserole.  She loved it and never knew the difference.

Brunch Casserole
1 lb sausage, cooked
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup bisquick
3/4 cup sour cream (or greek plain yogurt)
3 eggs
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350.  Spread sausage in a 2 quart baking dish.  Sprinkle onions and cheese on top of sausage.  In a blender, mix milk, bisquick, sour cream, and eggs.  Pour into baking dish.  Sprinkle with salt & pepper.  Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until set in center.  Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Makes 4 - 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment