Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It Was A Bit Rough, But It Made Do

Snow, ice, and cold are what winters are about in Idaho.  As a kid you have to learn to use those things to your advantage.  With at least six months of winter, you really have no choice unless you want to stay indoors.  My sister and I did lots of things outside in the winter.  Igloos, snow forts, snowmen, sledding, ice skating, and snow angels to name a few.

One winter my sister, her best friend and her friend's brother made a snow fort.  They piled the snow up in the backyard to make big mounds.  Then hosed the mounds down so they would freeze solid.  Then the next day they started to dig out a cave.  They got pretty elaborate with the fort.  I can't remember how long they worked on it, but it kept them busy for quite some time.

I never got that fancy with my snow creations.  I had gotten a snow brick form and would build an igloo with the bricks.  It always had gaps and never was really completed.  I did make several snowmen though.  Sometimes I would use all the snow from the yard to make my enormous snowmen.  Some of my snowballs would end up bigger and heavier than me.

A few winters the fire dept. would make a skating rink in the parking lot of the golf course.  It was a bit rough, but it made do.  We had fun on it.  Falling is definitely a part of learning to ice skating.  Now I never got good enough to even think about going professional or competing, but it was fun.  One year they cleared a spot on the lake to ice skate. That wasn't much smoother than the rink by the golf course, but just as fun.  One time we went out to the lake rink, there was a chicken.  Well a man dressed as a chicken.  I have no idea why he was there, but there he was.  We skated with him for a while.

Whenever we went skating, we would come home cold and hungry.  Hot chocolate would be a quick fix, but hot food would be needed.  Chili always hit the spot.  My favorite chili is Santa Fe Chili (white chili)

Santa Fe Chili
1/4 cup butter
1/8 cup chicken base
3/4 cups flour
3 to 4 cups water
cans white northern beans to make 53 oz
2 sm cans diced green chilies
4 chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
cumin to taste
white pepper to taste

In large sauce pan, melt butter and chicken base.  Add flour to make roux.  Add water and stir until smooth.  Add beans, chilies, chicken, cumin & white pepper.  Simmer on low heat until thickened (at least 1/2 hour)

No comments:

Post a Comment