Saturday, October 31, 2009

I'm Sure They Have Fun Doing It Though


It's Halloween.  A holiday that has become a day for kids to dress up and get candy.  Whether they are trick or treating, going to a harvest party, or have a party of their own, it's all about the candy.  It is fun to get dressed up too.  You can dress as something you could become or something that you will never be except for this night.  The big thing lately to dress up as celebrities.  Yesterday I saw lots of people dressed as celebrities.  Miley Cyrus, Rachel Zoe, Bobby Bones, and so many others.

Here in American Falls, there aren't a lot of things for the teenagers to do on Halloween.  We have a spook alley, but once you've been through that what are you going to do?  Over the years, they have taken a liking to smashing pumpkins.  We've had display our pumpkins through the window, or we would find them in the street the next morning.  I'm sure they have fun doing it, though.


I did not do any pumpkin smashing.  For a couple reasons, one, if I was caught I would have been in so much trouble and secondly, I was volunteered to help at the nursing home.  Even though I was volunteered to help and didn't actually volunteer myself, I enjoyed helping out at the nursing home.  A friend of ours was the activities director at the nursing home.  She did a great job getting the residents involved and helped make you comfortable around them.

Volunteering at the nursing home and other places has helped me to see holidays aren't all about what we get, but also what we can give.  And Halloween isn't all about candy, it's about candy and desserts.  A great dessert and a better way to use pumpkin than smashing it in the street is Pumpkin Slices.  Enjoy!


Pumpkin Slices
1 yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp baking soda
1 - 30 oz can pumpkin

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine all ingredients and pour into a jelly roll pan,  Bake for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

Frosting
1 cup butter
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk
4 cups powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients.  Spread on Pumpkin Slices when cool.  Cut into squares and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment